*WALK-UPS ARE WELCOME, even when reservations are full. Also check back at a later date in case other people cancel.
The Association for Public Art (aPA) presents Cai Guo-Qiang: Fireflies, a major public artwork for Philadelphia by internationally acclaimed artist Cai Guo-Qiang. Commissioned by aPA with Fung Collaboratives on the occasion of the centennial of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Fireflies will feature hundreds of illuminated lanterns in a bevy of colors and shapes floating along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, held aloft by a fleet of 27 pedicabs.
• Enjoy FREE rides in the Fireflies pedicabs or watch the glowing vehicles move along the Parkway
• September 15 – October 8, 2017, Thursdays through Sundays, 6-10pm
• Rides are every 30 minutes. Walk-ups for rides are welcome, but reservations can be made via this ticket page
• Please arrive at the start of your reservation time. If you arrive late, your ride cannot be guaranteed
• These are ONE-WAY rides from the Sister Cities Park hub (at Logan Square) to the Iroquois Park hub (across from Eakins Oval)
Is the night that you're wanting to reserve a ride sold out?
- Check back at a later date for reservations in case other people cancel
- Walk-ups will be welcomed, even on nights that reservations are full
THINGS TO KNOW:
- One pedicab ride can accomodate up to two passengers
- One ticket = one pedicab ride, so please reserve ONE ticket whether booking for one or two people
- Each ride is 1.5 miles and takes approximately 15-20 minutes
- There will be food trucks on select nights at Iroquois Park, and The Logan Cafe will have extended hours in Sister Cities Park. Picnicking at at either location is welcome.
- These rides are *weather permitting* and unable to operate in the rain. Check aPA's Twitter or website for weather-related updates. We will attempt to email or call you if there is a cancellation.
- To book a return trip, reserve a ride for Iroquois Park to Sister Cities Park at a later time slot here
- The aPA will follow Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § 3510, which requires that all children under 12 wear a helmet while riding in a pedalcycle vehicle. We advise parents of children under 12 if in possession of a helmet for their child to bring it with them for their reserved or walk-up ride on Fireflies. For those that do not have personal helmets for their children, we will have a limited number of youth helmets available at each project hub location. The availability of these helmets however, may increase wait times.
Where to watch Fireflies!
Below are highlights of great places to watch this once-in-a-lifetime public artwork before, after, or in lieu of riding in a pedicab. See a full list here.
- aPA's Fireflies Project Hubs at Iroquois Park and Sister Cities Park
- Parks on Tap Beer Garden at Shakespeare Park, the official beer garden of Fireflies
- Assembly Rooftop Lounge at The Logan Hotel, the offical hotel of Fireflies
- Steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
Happening During Fireflies!
There are plenty of great events and things to do on and around the Parkway during Fireflies. Make a night of it! Below is a taste of what's going on, or see a full list here.